BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The purchase of your travel booking constitutes a contractual agreement between the traveler(s), customer(s), and/or purchaser(s), (collectively as "You" and "Traveler"), and StudentUniverse Inc ("StudentUniverse", "We", "Us") pursuant to the following terms and conditions (“Booking Terms and Conditions”):
StudentUniverse (or any of its affiliated entities) acts as a travel agent only. Many, if not all, of the services that make up your travel booking are provided by independent third-party travel suppliers including without limitation, hotels, airlines, car rentals (“Travel Suppliers”). Payment of your travel booking to us, as the agent of the Travel Supplier, binds you to the terms and conditions of the Travel Suppliers, and:
- If for any reason, any Travel Supplier is unable to provide the services for which you have contracted, your remedy lies against the Travel Supplier, and not against us.
- We do not represent that any travel products or services will be suitable for you and we do not accept legal liability or responsibility for any services of a Travel Supplier that does not meet your expectations.
- We rely on the information that is provided by the Travel Suppliers to assist you to make an informed decision, but we cannot guarantee the accuracy in respect thereof.
HOTEL TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- StudentUniverse enables the instant booking and payment (full or 10% deposit) of travel accommodation through our website (/hotels) and that of our affiliate site(s).
- Anyone can book accommodation with StudentUniverse Hotels, you do not have to be a student.
- On the booking of any accommodation you will receive a reference number and a booking confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org. We advise you also print the on –screen confirmation. If you require your confirmation mail to be re-sent, please contact us (email to: email@example.com).
- All accommodation details and contact information are printed on your booking confirmation email.
- Specified hotels may offer student discounts. These hotels will be clearly marked and confirmation of the discount possibility will be included in the booking confirmation email.
- The student will only receive said student discount on arrival, if a valid Student Identity Card is presented to the hotel. It is solely the responsibility of the hotel to deduct the discount on arrival.
- Amendment and cancellation policies differ per hotel, please see your booking confirmation email for details of your booking provider and confirmation reference.
AIRFARE TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- Some fares are for verified students, teaching faculty, and youth aged 16-25 years old only. StudentUniverse and/or its partners have the right to check a user’s student, faculty, or youth status prior to issuing a ticket, and may request additional documentation if needed. By purchasing a ticket from us, you give StudentUniverse explicit consent to contact your school to verify your current enrollment status. Ticket holders must have current student or faculty identification and/or proof of age with them when traveling. Airlines can deny boarding without the proper identification.
- All fares are subject to change without notice prior to full payment and may be thereafter adjusted as further set out below.
- Forced overnight stays for any reason, including changes of itinerary are not the responsibility of StudentUniverse.
- If you arrive late for a flight according to the airline’s check-in requirements, or miss a flight, for ANY reason, you will lose the total value of your ticket. It is entirely at the airline’s discretion to provide you with a seat on a later flight. StudentUniverse is not responsible for an airline’s not providing you with a seat on a later flight, nor any additional charges that the airline may imposes for this reason, nor the full loss of value in your ticket.
- Airlines have specific guidelines for minors traveling without an adult (“Unaccompanied Minors”). These guidelines vary by airline and some may charge an additional fee for services they may provide to Unaccompanied Minors. You must contact your airline directly and or visit their website for specific information regarding these guidelines and/or any additional fees. You are solely responsible for any such fees.
- Additional fees for baggage may apply. You are solely responsible for any such fees. Please contact your airline or refer to its website for detailed information regarding their checked baggage policies for more information.
TOURS AND WORK ABROAD TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- Bookings must be secured with a CAD325 deposit or full payment if the start date is within 60 days of the first booked service of your tour. This deposit is non-refundable unless your tour is cancelled by us. Final payment is due 60 days prior to the tour start date.
- If deposit was paid by credit card you agree the card will be debited for final payment without further approval by balance due date.
- Some bookings and other products and services made available by StudentUniverse are subject to additional terms and conditions disclosed to the buyer during the order process. Such terms and conditions may be disclosed by use of hypertext links. You agree that you are bound by such additional terms and conditions.
- Travel insurance is recommended for all bookings. StudentUniverse is not an insurance company.
- Travelers are responsible for ensuring that have all necessary travel documents and visas.
- Refund Policy: Transport and accommodation providers have differing cancellation policies and rules. These policies and rules are binding on you, so be sure to review them before purchase. In addition, StudentUniverse has its own cancellation policies and rules to which you also agree.
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product to depart in relevant booking: Deposit to be held
- Cancellation received 59-30 days before departure of first product to depart in relevant booking: Deposit shall be held and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made by the Client in respect of the cancelled product shall be refunded to the Client.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product to depart in relevant booking: No refund due.
PRICE, AVAILABILITY AND INCREASES
Prices and availability quoted are subject to change (at the sole discretion of our Travel Suppliers and are due to space sellout/demand) at any time until full payment has been received and tickets have been issued. If the total price of the travel services is increased and the cumulative increase, except any increase resulting from an increase in retail sales tax or federal goods and services tax, is more than seven percent, you have the right to cancel the contract and obtain a full refund. Please note that all airfares and tour operator rates are subject to change without notice if full payment for booking has not been received. StudentUniverse does not warrant that prices will not change until booking is paid in full and an increase must be borne and paid for upon demand either by StudentUniverse, the airline, the tour operator or the Travel Supplier. In addition, please note:
- The number of nights of travel packages is based on travel dates and not the number of nights of accommodation.
- Additional airport and/or hotel and/or car rental fees and government taxes (other than sales tax) may not be included in your purchase. These are frequently collected at destination. Seat selection and resort stays may also incur fees.
DEPOSITS AND FINAL PAYMENTS
All deposits are non-refundable. Final payment is required no less than 60 days prior to departure unless otherwise stated. Some airfares or services must be paid in full at the time of booking. If final payment dates are missed itinerary will be cancelled and deposits forfeited and you may be responsible for any supplier penalties as a result.
CANCELLATION AND AMENDMENT FEES: Please be aware that most travel bookings are non-refundable and cancelled bookings will incur charges. These charges can be up to 100% of the cost of the booking, regardless of whether travel has commenced. Where we incur any liability for a cancellation fee or charge for any booking that is canceled, you agree to indemnify us for the amount of that fee or charge. Any changes or amendments to itinerary or passenger(s) details are either not permitted or will incur a penalty from the airline, Travel Supplier, or StudentUniverse as prescribed from time to time. Please see Invoice and Itinerary for penalty details. By acknowledging and accepting these Booking Terms and Conditions, StudentUniverse is hereby authorized by you to seek to recover any refunds/credits that may be available from any airline and other Travel Suppliers from time to time. Airline tickets are generally non-refundable once travel has commenced. If you cancel or change any flight segment or portion of your travel booking, you must advise the Travel Supplier prior to the time of the initial departure of travel booking or you will lose the value of the remaining portion of your purchase. Any amendments to quantity of passengers is subject to occupancy change costs levied by the Travel Suppliers. In addition to the supplier and airline cancellation/ amendment fees, we will charge the following fees on a Per Passenger, Per Booking basis in our sole discretion: (A) Domestic CA flights: Cancellation Fees: CAD100.00 / Amendment Fees: CAD100.00; and (B) Flights to/from the Rest of the World (destinations outside of CA) Cancellation Fees: CAD325.00 / Amendment Fees: CAD195.00.
- A credit or debit card must be used to confirm any booking. By making the reservation with a credit/debit card you authorize us to make a charge against that card.
- We and or our affiliates may charge an online booking fee; this fee is highlighted upon payment and is always non-refundable.
- You are responsible to the accommodation provider for payment of the remaining owed balance, together with any charges for additional services subsequently contracted and, where applicable, any service charges or tax.
- We accept no responsibility for any extra expenses that may arise, extra hotel taxes and fees, cancellations or freight charges from your bank or credit card company.
- In securing the reservation with your credit card details, you confirm that you and all travelers over the age of eighteen (18) and that you are solely responsible for the remainder of the payment to the accommodation provider upon arrival.
CREDIT CARD TRANSACTIONS: If for any reason, any travel service provider is unable to provide the services for which you have contracted, your remedy lies against the provider, and not against StudentUniverse. In the event that payment has been made to StudentUniverse by credit card, you agree that you will not seek to charge back your payment to StudentUniverse If the credit card information is passed through to the travel services provider and you seek to charge back your payment from the provider, you agree to indemnify StudentUniverse against this chargeback from the provider, including without limitation any air debit memos charged to StudentUniverse. If StudentUniverse incurs any expense, including but not limited to attorneys’ fees to recover any payments charged back by your credit card company, you agree that you will be liable to reimburse StudentUniverse for such expense. If the credit card is declined, you guarantee that you will settle any amounts owing to StudentUniverse immediately by money order or payment in cash.
It is your responsibility to have a valid passport (for at least 6 months beyond your intended travel time), visa and/or other travel documentation. A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document. Using other documentation such as travel documents or refugee status cards may result in delays or being denied boarding. We will assume that all travelers on the booking have valid Canadian passports, if this is not the case, you are required to let us know. Any fines, penalties, payments or expenditures incurred as a result of such documents not meeting the requirements of those authorities will be your sole responsibility. Please note the following requirements:
- Change of length of stay may result in a change of documentation needed to travel.
- Any visa advice provided to you is dependent on the accuracy of the information provided by you. Visa advice is current but can change prior to your intended travel date.
- Verification of documentation requirements must be done when travel date nears.
- Failure to provide the required documents may result in being denied boarding privileges by the carrier or relevant authorities, without further recourse or the possibility of a refund.
- Cruise passengers must present a valid passport, regardless of the entry requirements for their country of embarkation.
- To re-enter Canada; non-Canadian passport holders will need to provide proof of valid Canadian Permanent Residency, a valid Canadian visa or proof of outbound ticket within visa exception allowance. Citizens from countries other than the United States (U.S.) who do not need a visa to enter Canada will need to obtain an ETA before flying into Canada. Travelers do not need an ETA when entering Canada by land or sea.
- Immigration authorities have the sole discretion to deny entry even when the relevant documentation is provided. A traveler with criminal history may be denied entry.
- We recommend that you inquire with the Consular Affairs Bureau for Canadians Abroad or review online the Essential Information for Canadian Travelers Guide at voyage.gc.ca to satisfy personal requirements.
- Some countries require travelers to be issued a special international driver's permit and/or international proof of insurance.
- For domestic flights: all passengers must be in possession of government-issued photo identification. Children under 16 should carry proof of identity, if no photo ID is available.
HEALTH AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of any health requirements, health advisories, or health travel restrictions applicable to your travel destinations and to ensure that you carry all necessary vaccination documentation. For some countries, international health certificates and vaccinations are required. In some cases, failure to present required vaccination documentation (e.g. Yellow Fever vaccination) may result in you being denied entry into a country. We recommend that you consult with your local doctor, travel medical service or specialist vaccination clinic before commencing your travel.
As it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel carriers and local authorities at travel destinations may require specific testing prior to boarding and/or upon arrival at your destination, including, but not limited to, a temperature check as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. You may be denied entry onto your carrier and/or entry upon arrival at your destination or be required to self-quarantine at your destination and upon your return to Canada. You must comply with local government regulations. Additional costs and penalties levied by any Government or local authority are your responsibility. General health advice for the destination you wish to visit is also available on the Government of Canada Travel and Tourism at https://travel.gc.ca/
For your protection, we recommend that you purchase trip cancellation and travel accident protection. However, you agree to look solely to the insurer, and not to Student Universe, its affiliates, parent company, shareholders, officers, directors, agents, employees or contractors with respect to any policy of insurance purchased or offered through the StudentUniverse or affiliate websites. No representation or description of the protection made by StudentUniverse to you, constitutes a binding assurance or promise about the protection, and you agree not to rely upon any such representation. StudentUniverse is not an insurance company and has no responsibility for the submission, payment or adjustment of any insurance claims. Any claims that may fall under the relevant travel protection policy must be submitted directly to the insurance company identified in the policy.
RECONFIRMING FLIGHT TIMES AND CHECK-IN
It is your responsibility to confirm your flight departure times at least 24 hours prior to departure. Some airlines will have schedule changes and your flight times may differ to what is stated on your Itinerary. We recommend that you reconfirm your onward and return flights at least 3 days prior to each journey. StudentUniverse is not responsible for schedule changes.
All passengers are asked to check in at least 2 hours for domestic and 3 hours for international prior to the scheduled time of departure of their flight due to enhanced security measures. We recommend online check-in available with most airlines at least 12 hours prior to departure and for most cruises, at least 72 hours. Please note that all travelers must be present with their boarding documents, passport and visas necessary for the destination. Any passenger arriving late for check-in will be denied boarding.
BAGGAGE ALLOWANCES AND RESTRICTIONS
Be aware that not all air carriers have the same baggage allowance policy and therefore it is important to check the policy before preparing for your trip. Weight, excess and piece limitations as well as baggage fees can vary from one air carrier to the next.
We strive to make sure your travel arrangements are satisfactory. However, StudentUniverse and its affiliates, parent company, employees, shareholders, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, successors, agents, and assigns do not own or operate any entity that provides goods and services for your travel including without limitation, accommodation, airline, vessel, motor coach, or other transportation companies, guides or guide services, local ground operators, providers or organizers of optional excursions, food service providers, etc. All such providers are independent contractors and are in no way affiliated to StudentUniverse or any of StudentUniverse's affiliated entities. You therefore agree not to look to StudentUniverse and/or its affiliates, parent company, employees, shareholders, subsidiaries, officers, directors, successors, agents and assigns with respect to any act or omission of such providers.
StudentUniverse is not liable for any negligent or willful act or failure to act of any Travel Supplier or of any third party. In addition and without limitation, StudentUniverse is not responsible for and need not make any reimbursement or refund for any injury, loss, death, inconvenience, delay, or damage to person or property in connection with the provision of any goods or services if resulting from, , acts of God r force majeure, illness, disease, pandemic, quarantine, acts of war or civil unrest, insurrection or revolt, embargoes, blockades, boycotts, animals, strikes or other labor activities, criminal or terrorist activities of any kind, overbooking or downgrading of accommodations, weather conditions, sanitary conditions, lack of medical care, mechanical or other failure of airplanes or other means of transportation, any failure of any transportation mechanism to arrive or depart on time or any other matter not within StudentUniverse’s direct control. Also be advised that certain foreign facilities such as air-conditioning systems in public places, hotels and motor coaches may not be up to Canadian standards. If due to weather, flight schedules or other uncontrollable factors you are required to spend additional night(s), you will be responsible for your own hotel, transfers and meal costs. Baggage is entirely at owner's risk. You may see the name StudentUniverse affixed to motor vehicles, on signs around the hotel or elsewhere. This use of our name is purely for reasons of identification and does not denote ownership, supervision, or control by StudentUniverse in any way. The prices of these tours are based on rates in effect (including foreign exchange rates) at the time of printing and are subject to change without notice. Under circumstances where liability cannot be excluded, such liability is limited to the value of the purchased travel arrangements. To the extent permitted by law, you specifically agree that StudentUniverse is not liable for any consequential damage or punitive, statutory, multiple, exemplary or other form of damage not measured by actual damage.
TRAVELLING WITH CHILDREN
Whether travelling alone or accompanied by an adult, each child must travel with his/her own travel documents, a passport and appropriate visa, plus supporting documentation: i.e. birth certificate showing the names of both parents and/or legal documents pertaining to custody.
- An adult travelling with minor children is strongly advised to hold a notarized letter of travel consent signed by other parent(s) or guardian(s) with legal custody. The letter must include the signor's address, phone details, authorization to travel, the destination and length of stay.
- If a parent/guardian is divorced or deceased, a custody document or death certificate is recommended.
- For unaccompanied minors travelling please provide the details of the person who is responsible for meeting the minor at the destination to your travel agent and the airline.
- It is your responsibility to obtain all documents including those for infants and children, as required by relevant government authorities of the country you are visiting.
- Some countries have very specific regulations regarding cases where both parents are not travelling with a child. We recommend you obtain information from the consulate of destination.
- Further information regarding children and travel is available with the Government of Canada Travel and Tourism at https://travel.gc.ca/
NOTICE TO TRAVELERS
Travelers should be aware that different living standards and practices may exist outside of Canada including but not limited to: provision of utilities, e.g. Water and electricity; accommodations; services of all kinds; food; food preparation and water quality, and therefore:
- StudentUniverse shall not be held responsible for any loss, damage, illness or injury resulting from different living standards. Keep the state of the local economy and the country's level of development in mind.
- The quality of hotels advertised by our Travel Suppliers has been rated in accordance with the normal standard of the destination and could be different from the standard of Canadian hotels. There is no international standard and they can vary greatly.
- Hotel ratings also vary between one Travel Supplier than another for the same product. We recommend that you inform yourself on the amenities and reviews of accommodations before deciding.
- Service may be interrupted at any time for renovations, maintenance, or construction. StudentUniverse is an agent only and cannot be held responsible for quality or interruptions of service.
- Do ask questions and research on your own to ensure that are you are prepared for every eventuality
- It is possible that you will encounter minor difficulties that are sometimes unavoidable and uncontrollable. Please initially attempt to address the situation locally directly with Travel Supplier(s) and then contact your consultant.
- Cruise lines generally collect pre-paid gratuities at time of check-in and possibly fuel surcharge. Please refer to your cruise documentation or inquire with your travel consultant.
- Many independent Travel Suppliers require the presentation of a major credit card at the commencement of service to cover any additional incidentals and/or for potential damages. It is recommended that there is $1000.00 of available funds on the credit card.
ELECTRONIC OR HANDWRITTEN SIGNATURE
You may acknowledge and agree to these Booking Terms and Condition: (i) electronically, including by e-mail; (ii) by handwritten signature; or (iii) by your payment of the Invoice and/ or your use of the Services provided by StudentUniverse or any other Travel Supplier related to your booking. All such means will be deemed sufficient to bind the parties to the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
This Agreement is governed by and is to be construed and interpreted in accordance with the Laws of the Province of Alberta and the laws of Canada applicable in that Province. The parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of Alberta to resolve any disputes which may arise in relation to this Agreement and/or sale in general by StudentUniverse to the client.